What is a spirit? In my definition, spirit is an existence which has life in itself that we cannot see and touch, unless it transforms into a physical being like God can. God, angel, and ghost are spirits that can interact or communicate with people. But there are also spirits that cannot communicate with us. These are wisdom/mind, feeling/emotion, energy/might, word/verbal statement, etc.
Wisdom is a spirit because it exists and it is working. Without wisdom, we cannot have an idea on how to perform our daily jobs.
Feeling is a spirit because it exists and it is working. Without our feelings, we cannot have relationships with one another. If we get hurt we suffer from the pain inside us.
Energy is also a spirit since it exists and it is working. Without the living existence of energy, we cannot rise up and walk. Without the energy of God, planets won’t float in the universe (Hebrews 1:3).
Word is also a spirit for it exists and it is working. When someone speaks, you hear it and react to it. When God uttered ‘let there be light’ to create a ‘light’, the word ‘let there be light’ is a spirit. This is the reason why Jesus is also called ‘the spirit or word of God’. The Bible says, “You send forth your spirit, they are created” (Psalm 104:30), and in other passage it says, “He sent forth his word and healed them” (Psalm 107:20). So spirit & word are used interchangeably here.
When Jesus said, “worship God in spirit”, he meant we should worship God in our hearts (emotions) and minds (thoughts). Below are verses commanding us to worship God in spirit;
1. [Deuteronomy 6:5] “You shall love the LORD your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your might.
2. [Deuteronomy 30:6] “Moreover the LORD your God will circumcise your heart and the heart of your descendants, to love the LORD your God with all your heart and with all your soul, so that you may live.
3. [John 4:23-24] But a time is coming and has now come when the true worshipers will worship the Father in spirit and in truth, for the Father is seeking such as these to worship Him. God is a Spirit: and they that worship him must worship him in spirit and in truth.
4. [John 7:24] Stop judging by outward appearances, and start judging justly.”
5. [Hebrews 4:12] For the word of God is living and active, sharper than any two-edged sword, piercing to the division of soul and of spirit, of joints and of marrow, and discerning the thoughts and intentions of the heart.
6. [1 Corinthians 2:11] For who among men knows the thoughts of man except his own spirit within him? So too, no one knows the thoughts of God except the Spirit of God.
7. [1 Corinthians 10:25] Eat anything that is sold in the market without letting your conscience trouble you.
8. [Philippians 3:3] For we are the circumcision, who worship God in the spirit, and rejoice in Christ Jesus, and have no confidence in the flesh
9. [Romans 1:9] God, whom I serve with my spirit in preaching the gospel of His Son, is my witness how constantly I remember you
10. [Romans 2:29] No, a man is a Jew because he is one inwardly, and circumcision is a matter of the heart, by the Spirit, not by the written code. Such a man’s praise does not come from men, but from God.
11. [Romans 14:17] for the kingdom of God is not eating and drinking, but righteousness and peace and joy in the Holy Spirit.
12. [Galatians 5:25] Since we live by the Spirit, let us walk in step with the Spirit.
13. [1 Peter 1:13] Therefore prepare your minds for action. Be sober-minded. Set your hope fully on the grace to be given you at the revelation of Jesus Christ.
14. [1 Peter 3:15-16] But in your hearts sanctify Christ as Lord. Always be prepared to give a defense to everyone who asks you the reason for the hope you possess. But respond with gentleness and respect, keeping a clear conscience, so that those who slander you will be put to shame by your good behavior in Christ.
15. [1 Timothy 1:5] The goal of our instruction is the love that comes from a pure heart, a clear conscience, and a sincere faith.
16. [Hebrews 10:22] let us draw near with a sincere heart in full assurance of faith, having our hearts sprinkled to cleanse us from a guilty conscience and our bodies washed with pure water.
17. [2 Corinthians 10:4-5] For the weapons of our warfare are not carnal, but mighty through God to the pulling down of strong holds;
18. [2 Timothy 2:19] But God’s truth stands firm like a foundation stone with this inscription: “The LORD knows those who are his,” and “All who belong to the LORD must turn away from evil.”
19. [Romans 8:13] For if you live according to the flesh, you shall die: but if by the Spirit you mortify the deeds of the flesh, you shall live.