There are many types of spirit, and God is one them. So if we refer to the spirit of God, we need to attach the word ‘holy’ to mean that this spirit we point out is the divine spirit. We can also capitalize the S of the word ‘spirit’ to emphasize that this spirit is a supreme being. Thus the ‘holy spirit’, ‘spirit of God’, or ‘Spirit’ mentioned on this post are synonymous.
Quoted from the Old Testament:
- [Genesis 1:2] The earth was formless and void, and darkness was over the surface of the deep, and the Spirit of God was moving over the surface of the waters.
- [Numbers 12:25-26] Then the LORD came down in the cloud and spoke with him, and he took some of the power of the Spirit that was on him and put it on the seventy elders. When the Spirit rested on them, they prophesied—but did not do so again. However, two men, whose names were Eldad and Medad, had remained in the camp. They were listed among the elders, but did not go out to the tent. Yet the Spirit also rested on them, and they prophesied in the camp.
- [Numbers 24:2] And Balaam lifted up his eyes and saw Israel camping tribe by tribe; and the Spirit of God came upon him.
- [Job 33:4] The Spirit of God has made me, and the breath of the Almighty gives me life.
- [Psalm 51:11] Cast me not away from Your presence; take not Your Holy Spirit from me.
- [Psalm 106:33] For they rebelled against His Spirit, and Moses spoke rashly with his lips.
- [Isaiah 42:1] “Behold, My Servant, whom I uphold; My chosen one in whom My soul delights. I have put My Spirit upon Him; He will bring forth justice to the nations.
- [Isaiah 63:10] But they rebelled and grieved His Holy Spirit. So He turned and became their enemy, and He Himself fought against them.
- [1 Samuel 19:20] he sent messengers to capture him. But when they saw the group of prophets prophesying, with Samuel leading them, the Spirit of God came upon them, and Saul’s messengers also began to prophesy.
- [Judges 3:10-11] The Spirit of the LORD came upon him, and he became Israel’s judge and went out to war. And the LORD delivered Cushan-rishathaim king of Aram into the hands of Othniel, who prevailed against him. Then His people remembered the days of old, the days of Moses. Where is He who brought them through the sea with the shepherds of His flock? Where is the One who set His Holy Spirit among them
- [Chronicles 15:1] Now the Spirit of God came upon Azariah son of Oded.
- [Ecclesiastes 11:5] The Holy Spirit knits our bones together, but we do not know how: “As you do not know what is the way of the spirit, or how the bones grow in the womb of her who is with child, so you do not know the works of God who makes everything.”
- [Psalm 104:30] You send forth Your Spirit, they are created and you renew the face of the earth.
- [Joel 2:28] the Lord says, “And it shall come to pass afterward, that I will pour out my Spirit on all flesh”
- [Joel 2:29] In those days I will pour out my Spirit even on servants—men and women alike.
- [Jeremiah 23:24] Who can hide in secret places so that I cannot see them?” declares the LORD. “Do not I fill heaven and earth?” declares the LORD.
- [Ezekiel 11:25] The Spirit lifted me up and carried me back to Chaldea, to the exiles in the vision given by the Spirit of God. After the vision I had seen had gone up from me,
- [Zechariah 4:6] Then he said to me, “This is the word of the Lord to Zerubbabel: Not by might, nor by power, but by my Spirit, says the Lord of hosts.
Quoted from the New Testament:
- [Matthew 3:16-17] As soon as Jesus was baptized, he went up out of the water. At that moment heaven was opened, and he saw the Spirit of God descending like a dove and alighting on him. And a voice from heaven said, “This is my Son, whom I love; with him I am well pleased.”
- [Matthew 10:28] Do not be afraid of those who kill the body but cannot kill the soul. Instead, fear the One who can destroy both soul and body in hell.
- [Mark 1:10-11] As Jesus came up out of the water, he saw the heavens splitting apart and the Holy Spirit descending on him like a dove. And a voice from heaven said, “You are my dearly loved Son, and you bring me great joy.”
- [Luke 4:18] “the spirit of the lord is upon me, because he anointed me to preach the gospel to the poor. he has sent me to proclaim release to the captives, and recovery of sight to the blind, to set free those who are oppressed
- [Luke 3:22] and the Holy Spirit descended on him in bodily form like a dove. And a voice came from heaven: “You are my Son, whom I love; with you I am well pleased.”
- [John 3:34] For the one whom God has sent speaks the words of God, for God gives the Spirit without limit.
- [John 3:6-8] What is born of the flesh is flesh, and what is born of the Spirit is spirit. Don’t be astonished that I told you, ‘All of you must be born from above
- [John 4:23-24] “But an hour is coming, and now is, when the true worshipers will worship the Father in spirit and truth; for such people the Father seeks to be His worshipers. “God is spirit, and those who worship Him must worship in spirit and truth.”
- [John 6:63] The Spirit alone gives eternal life. Human effort accomplishes nothing. And the very words I have spoken to you are spirit and life.
- [John 14:16-17] Jesus says, “I will ask the Father, and He will give you another Advocate, that He may be with you forever; that is the Spirit of truth, whom the world cannot receive, because it does not see Him or know Him, but you know Him because He abides with you and will be in you”
- [John 15:26] “When the Counselor comes, whom I will send to you from the Father, that is the Spirit of truth who goes out from the Father, He will testify about Me.
- [John 16:13] Jesus says, “But when he, the Spirit of truth, comes, he will guide you into all the truth. He will not speak on his own; he will speak only what he hears, and he will tell you what is yet to come.”
- [Acts 2:4] And they were all filled with the Holy Spirit and began to speak in other tongues as the Spirit gave them utterance.
- [Acts 2:18] In those days I will pour out my Spirit even on my servants—men and women alike— and they will prophesy.
- [Acts 5:3-4] But Peter said, “Ananias, why has Satan filled your heart to lie to the Holy Spirit and to keep back for yourself part of the proceeds of the land? While it remained unsold, did it not remain your own? And after it was sold, was it not at your disposal? Why is it that you have contrived this deed in your heart? You have not lied to man but to God.” When Ananias heard these words, he befell down and breathed his last. And great fear came upon all who heard of it”.
- [Acts 7:51] You stiff-necked people with uncircumcised hearts and ears! You always resist the Holy Spirit, just as your fathers did.
- [Acts 16:6] After the Holy Spirit prevented them from speaking the word in the province of Asia, they traveled through the region of Phrygia and Galatia.
- [1 Corinthians 2: 15] The natural man does not accept the things that come from the Spirit of God. For they are foolishness to him, and he cannot understand them, because they are spiritually discerned.
- [1 Corinthians 12:4-6] Now there are varieties of gifts, but the same Spirit; and there are varieties of service, but the same lord; and there are varieties of activities, but it is the same God who empowers them all in everyone. To each is given the manifestation of the Spirit for the common good.
- [1 Corinthians 12:7-11] For to one is given through the Spirit the utterance of wisdom, and to another the utterance of knowledge according to the same Spirit, to another faith by the same Spirit, to another gifts of healing by the one Spirit, to another the working of miracles, to another prophecy, to another the ability to distinguish between spirits, to another various kinds of tongues, to another the interpretation of tongues. All these are empowered by one and the same Spirit, who apportions to each one individually as he wills.
- [1 Corinthians 15:6] After that, he appeared to more than five hundred of the brothers and sisters at the same time, most of whom are still living, though some have fallen asleep.
- [2 Corinthians 10:4-5] We are human, but we don’t wage war as humans do. We use God’s mighty weapons, not worldly weapons, to knock down the strongholds of human reasoning and to destroy false arguments.
- [Romans 8:16-17] The Spirit Himself testifies with our spirit that we are children of God
- [Romans 14:17] “For the kingdom of God is not a matter of eating and drinking, but of righteousness, peace and joy in the Holy Spirit.”
- [Ephesians 4:30] Do not grieve the Holy Spirit, by whom you were marked with a seal for the day of redemption.
- [1 John 4:13] By this we know that we remain in Him, and He in us: He has given us of His Spirit.
- [2 Peter 1:21] For no prophecy was ever produced by the will of man, but men spoke from God as they were carried along by the Holy Spirit.
- [Revelation 5:6] Then I saw a Lamb, looking as if it had been slain, standing at the center of the throne, encircled by the four living creatures and the elders. The Lamb had seven horns and seven eyes, which are the seven spirits of God sent out into all the earth.
ALSO READ: Spirit of God dwelt in Jesus
2 thoughts on “Holy Spirit, Biblical verses”