†In Tanakh, God had been telling about His coming to Earth from thousands to hundreds of years before the birth of Jesus. His main purpose is to bring the New Covenant and to redeem mankind through suffering and physical death. By this, God showed His great love to His people. The following are some of the Biblical verses saying that God will come to Earth, let us interpret each.
1. [Job 19:25] “I know that my Redeemer lives, and that in the last hour he will stand on the earth. And after my skin has been destroyed, yet in my flesh I will see God; I myself will see him with my own eyes”.
COMMENT: The book of Job is believed to be the oldest Scripture. The main character Job expects the coming of his Redeemer. He believes he will resurrect and see God physically on the Last Day. Jesus will be the one to raise the dead and be the one to judge on the Last Day [John 6:40 & Matthew 13:41-42], so Jesus is the God expected by Job.
2. [Psalm 68:18] When you ascended to the heights, you led a crowd of captives. You received gifts from the people, even from those who rebelled against you. Now the LORD God will live among us there
COMMENT: This verse tells us that God will live among the people
3. [Isaiah 7:14] “The virgin will be with child and will give birth to a Son, and will call him Emmanuel”
COMMENT: ‘Emmanuel’ is a Hebrew word which means “God with us”. It means that the Son to be born through a virgin is God himself. This virgin is fulfilled by Mary who gave birth to Jesus. The Koran also states that Jesus is a spirit of Allah and son of Mary [Koran 66:12, 21:91, & 4:171]. But Muslims just disregarded these verses.
4. [Isaiah 9:6] ”For a child will be born to us, a son will be given to us; And the government will rest on His shoulders; And His name will be called Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God, Eternal Father, Prince of Peace”.
COMMENT: This passage clearly says that a Son will be born, and to be called Mighty God and eternal Father. Therefore, the Son and the Father God are one. Jesus said He and the Father are one [John 10:30].
5. [Isaiah 40:3] A voice of one calling: “In the wilderness prepare the way for the LORD; make straight in the desert a highway for our God.
COMMENT: This verse urges the people to prepare the way for the coming of God. This predicted voice is fulfilled by the voice of John the Baptist [John 1:23 & Luke 1:76]. John the Baptist was sent first to cleanse or baptize the people with water in preparation of the coming of God (Jesus) [John 1:33-34].
6. [Isaiah 48:16] “Come near to Me, listen to this: From the first I have not spoken in secret, From the time it took place, there I am. And now the Lord GOD has sent Me, and His Spirit.”
COMMENT: The speaker of the passage tells that he exists even from the Creation period, so He is God. And this time He is sent by the Lord and His Spirit. God is acting the sender and the messenger. Jesus said He came down from Heaven and sent by the Father [John 6:38]. And also the Father declared that Jesus is His Son [Psalm 2:7 & Matthew 3:17].
7. [Isaiah 59:20″] The Redeemer will come to Zion, to those in Jacob who repent of their sins,” declares the LORD.
COMMENT: This verse says that the Redeemer will come to Israel, Zion is the hill of Jerusalem on which the city of David was built. There is no other Redeemer of mankind except God [Isaiah 43:11], so He is the one to come to Israel.
8. [Isaiah 62:11] The LORD has sent this message to every land: “Tell the people of Israel, ‘Look, your Savior is coming. See, he brings his reward with him as he comes.'”
COMMENT: In this verse, God the savior announces His coming, He will bring His rewards which is salvation to those who believe it.
9. [Jeremiah 23:5-6] “Behold, the days are coming,” declares the LORD, “When I will raise up for David a righteous Branch; And He will reign as king and act wisely, And do justice and righteousness in the land. In His days Judah will be saved, And Israel will dwell securely; And this is His name by which He will be called, ‘The LORD our righteousness.
COMMENT: This verse tells us that God will raise up a righteous branch and a descendant of king David. This righteous branch will reign as king, and his name will be “the LORD our righteousness”. So the king to come is God Himself. Jesus confirmed that He’s a king in [John 18:37]
10. [Micah 5:2] As for you, Bethlehem Ephrathah, seemingly insignificant among the clans of Judah, from you a king will emerge who will rule over Israel on my behalf, one whose origin is from eternity.
COMMENT: This verse says that God will raise a king or ruler on His behalf, and the existence of this ruler is from eternity. There is no one whose existence is from eternity but God alone, so this ruler is God Himself. Jesus confirmed that He was the King expected by the Jews [John 18:37 & Matthew 27:11]. So Jesus is God.
11. [Malachi 3:1] “Behold, I am going to send My messenger, and he will clear the way before Me. And the Lord, whom you seek, will suddenly come to His temple; and the messenger of the covenant, in whom you delight, behold, He is coming,” says the LORD of hosts.
COMMENT: This verse says that God will send a messenger prior to His coming, this person is fulfilled by John (the Baptist) who prepared the Lord’s way by baptizing the people with water [John 1:33-34]. After that, the Lord will come to His Temple, and at the same time, He will bring the covenant that people delight. Jesus introduced this new covenant to his disciples [Luke 22:20 & Matthew 26:28].