The woman said to him, “I know that Messiah is coming (he who is called Christ). When he comes, he will tell us all things.” Jesus said to her, “I who speak to you am he.”The word of Jesus, John 4:25-26
The Hebrew word ‘Messiah’ literally means ‘the Anointed one’, but its whole meaning is ‘the anointed king of God’. The Greek translation of Messiah is ‘Khristós’ (Χριστός), anglicized as Christ. So Messiah, Christ, and the Anointed one are synonymous. So someone to call Jesus as Messiah or Christ is acknowledging his kingship. Below are Biblical verses talking about the Anointed king of God.
Quoted from the Old Testament:
- [Genesis 49:10] The scepter will not depart from Judah, nor the ruler’s staff from between his feet, until He to whom it belongs shall come, and the obedience of the nations shall be his.
- [Numbers 24:17] ‘I see him, but not now; I behold him, but not close at hand. A star will march forth out of Jacob, and a scepter will rise out of Israel. He will crush the skulls of Moab, and the heads of all the sons of Sheth.
- [Psalm 20:6] Now I know that the Lord saves His anointed; He will answer him from His holy heaven With the saving strength of His right hand.
- [Psalm 28:8] The LORD is the strength of his people, a fortress of salvation for his anointed one (Messiah).
- [Psalm 132:17] “There I will cause the horn of David to spring forth; I have prepared a lamp for My anointed.
- [Psalm 145:13] Your kingdom is an everlasting kingdom, and Your dominion endures through all generations. The LORD is faithful in all His words and kind in all His actions.
- [1 Samuel 2:10] “Those who contend with the LORD will be shattered; Against them He will thunder in the heavens, The LORD will judge the ends of the earth; And He will give strength to His king, And will exalt the horn of His anointed.”
- [1 Samuel 2:35] I will raise up for myself a faithful priest, who will do according to what is in my heart and mind. I will firmly establish his priestly house, and they will minister before my anointed one always.
- [2 Samuel 22:51] “He gives his king great victories; he shows unfailing kindness to his anointed, to David and his descendants forever.”
- [Isaiah 9:6] ”For to us a child is born, to us a son is given, and the government will be on his shoulders. And he will be called Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God, Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace.”
- [Isaiah 11:1] The royal line of David is like a tree that has been cut down; but just as new branches sprout from a stump, so a new king will arise from among David’s descendants.
- [Isaiah 61:1] The Spirit of the Lord GOD is upon me, because the LORD has anointed me To bring good news to the afflicted; He has sent me to bind up the brokenhearted, To proclaim liberty to captives And freedom to prisoners
- [Jeremiah 23:5] Behold, the days come, says the LORD, that I will raise unto David a righteous Branch, and a King shall reign and prosper, and shall execute justice and righteousness in the earth.
- [Jeremiah 33:15] ‘In those days and at that time I will cause a righteous Branch of David to spring forth; and He shall execute justice and righteousness on the earth.
- [Daniel 2:37] You, O king, are a king of kings. For the God of heaven has given you a kingdom, power, strength, and glory;
- [Daniel 9:25] From the issuing of the command to restore and rebuild Jerusalem until an anointed one, a prince arrives, there will be a period of seven weeks and sixty-two weeks. It will again be built, with plaza and moat, but in distressful times.
- [Daniel 9:26] After the sixty-two ‘sevens,’ the Anointed One will be put to death and will have nothing. The people of the ruler who will come will destroy the city and the sanctuary. The end will come like a flood: War will continue until the end, and desolations have been decreed
- [Habakkuk 3:13] You went forth for the salvation of Your people, For the salvation of Your anointed. You struck the head of the house of the evil To lay him open from thigh to neck.
- [Micah 5:2] As for you, Bethlehem Ephrathah, seemingly insignificant among the clans of Judah – from you a King will emerge who will rule over Israel on my behalf, one whose origins are in the distant past
Quoted from the new Testament:
- [Matthew 23:10-12] And do not be called masters either, because you have one Master, the Messiah. The greatest among you will be your servant. Whoever exalts himself will be humbled, and whoever humbles himself will be exalted.
- [Matthew 27:11] Meanwhile Jesus stood before the governor, who questioned Him: “Are You the King of the Jews?” “You have said so,” Jesus replied.
- [Mark 15:2 & Luke 23:3] “Are you the king of the Jews?” asked Pilate. “You have said so,” Jesus replied.
- [Mark 15:32] Let the Christ, the King of Israel, come down now from the cross, so that we may see and believe!” And even those who were crucified with Him berated Him.
- [Luke 4:17-21] and the scroll of the prophet Isaiah was handed to him. Unrolling it, he found the place where it is written:“The Spirit of the Lord is on me, because He has anointed me to proclaim good news to the poor. He has sent me to proclaim freedom for the prisoners and recovery of sight for the blind, to set the oppressed free, to proclaim the year of the Lord’s favor.” Then he rolled up the scroll, gave it back to the attendant and sat down. The eyes of everyone in the synagogue were fastened on him.He began by saying to them, “Today this scripture is fulfilled in your hearing.”
- [Luke 23:2] And they began to accuse Him, saying, “We found this man subverting our nation, forbidding payment of taxes to Caesar, and proclaiming Himself to be Christ, a King.”
- [John 4:25-26] The woman said to him, “I know that Messiah is coming (he who is called Christ). When he comes, he will tell us all things.” Jesus said to her, “I who speak to you am he.”
- [John 7:41] Others said, “He is the Messiah.” Still others asked, “How can the Messiah come from Galilee?
- [John 18:37] “You are a king, then!” said Pilate. Jesus answered, “You say that I am a king. In fact, the reason I was born and came into the world is to testify to the truth. Everyone on the side of truth listens to me.”
- [John 19:19] And Pilate posted a sign on the cross that read, “Jesus of Nazareth, the King of the Jews.”
- [Acts 10:42] And He commanded us to preach to the people and to testify that He is the One appointed by God to judge the living and the dead.
- [Acts 17:3] explaining and proving that the Messiah had to suffer and rise from the dead. “This Jesus I am proclaiming to you is the Messiah,” he said.
- [1 Timothy 6:15] For, At just the right time Christ will be revealed from heaven by the blessed and only almighty God, the King of all kings and Lord of all lords.
- [2 Timothy 4:1] I solemnly urge you in the presence of God and Christ Jesus, who will someday judge the living and the dead when he comes to set up his Kingdom:
- [Colossians 3:1] Since, then, you have been raised with Christ, set your hearts on things above, where Christ is, seated at the right hand of God.
- [2 Peter 1:11] Then God will give you a grand entrance into the eternal Kingdom of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ
- [Revelation 1:5] and from Jesus Christ, the faithful witness, the firstborn of the dead, and the ruler of the kings of the earth. To Him who loves us and released us from our sins by His blood—
- [Revelation 17:14] These shall make war with the Lamb, and the Lamb shall overcome them: for he is Lord of lords, and King of kings: and they that are with him are called, and chosen, and faithful.