Dear friends, do not believe every spirit, but test the spirits to see whether they are from God, because many false prophets have gone out into the world1 John 4:1
Quoted from Old Testament
1. [Deuteronomy 13:5] Such a prophet or dreamer must be put to death, because he has advocated rebellion against the LORD your God, who brought you out of the land of Egypt and redeemed you from the house of slavery, in order to turn you from the way the LORD your God has commanded you to walk. So you must purge the evil from among you.
2. [Deuteronomy 18:20-22] says, “But the prophet, which shall presume to speak a word in my name, which I have not commanded him to speak, or that shall speak in the name of other gods, even that prophet shall die.”“You may say in your heart, ‘How will we know the word which the LORD has not spoken?’ “When a prophet speaks in the name of the LORD, if the thing does not come about or come true, that is the thing which the LORD has not spoken. The prophet has spoken it presumptuously; you shall not be afraid of him.
3. [1 Kings 22:22] The Lord said to him, ‘How?’ And he said, ‘I will go out and be a deceiving spirit in the mouth of all his prophets.’ Then He said, ‘You are to entice him and also prevail. Go and do so.’
4. [Ezekiel 13:9] My hand will be against the prophets who see false visions and speak lying divinations. They will not belong to the council of My people or be recorded in the register of the house of Israel, nor will they enter the land of Israel. Then you will know that I am the Lord GOD. Because they have led My people astray, saying, ‘Peace,’ when there is no peace, and whitewashing any flimsy wall that is built,
5. [Jeremiah 8:8] How can you say, “We are wise, and the law of the LORD is with us,” when in fact, the false pen of the scribes has made it into a lie
6. [Jeremiah 14:14] “The prophets are prophesying lies in My name,” replied the LORD. “I did not send them or appoint them or speak to them. They are prophesying to you a false vision, a worthless divination, the futility and delusion of their own minds.
7. [Jeremiah 23:16] Thus says the LORD of hosts, “Do not listen to the words of the prophets who are prophesying to you. They are leading you into futility; They speak a vision of their own imagination, Not from the mouth of the LORD
8. [Jeremiah 23:21] I did not send these prophets, yet they have run with their message; I did not speak to them, yet they have prophesied.
9. [Jeremiah 23:25-32] “I have heard the sayings of the prophets who prophesy lies in My name: ‘I had a dream! I had a dream!’ How long will this continue in the hearts of these prophets who prophesy falsehood, these prophets of the delusion of their own minds? They suppose the dreams that they tell one another will make My people forget My name, just as their fathers forgot My name through the worship of Baal. Let the prophet who has a dream retell it, but let him who has My word speak it truthfully. For what is straw compared to grain?” declares the LORD. “Is not My word like fire,” declares the LORD, “and like a hammer that smashes a rock?” “Therefore behold,” declares the LORD, “I am against the prophets who steal from one another words they attribute to Me.” “Yes,” declares the LORD, “I am against the prophets who wag their own tongues and proclaim, ‘The LORD declares it.’” “Indeed,” declares the LORD, “I am against those who prophesy false dreams and retell them to lead My people astray with their reckless lies. It was not I who sent them or commanded them, and they are of no benefit at all to these people,” declares the LORD.
Quoted from the New Testament
1. [Matthew 7:15] Beware of false prophets. They come to you in sheep’s clothing, but inwardly they are ravenous wolves.
2. [Matthew 24:23-24] At that time, if anyone says to you, ‘Look, here is the Christ!’ or ‘There He is,’ do not believe it. For false Christs and false prophets will appear and perform great signs and wonders that would deceive even the elect, if that were possible.
3. [Mark 13:21-23] At that time if anyone says to you, ‘Look, here is the Christ!’ or ‘There He is!’ do not believe it. For false Christs and false prophets will appear and perform signs and wonders that would deceive even the elect, if that were possible. So be on your guard; I have told you everything in advance.
4. [John 8:44] You belong to your father, the devil, and you want to carry out your father’s desires. He was a murderer from the beginning, not holding to the truth, for there is no truth in him. When he lies, he speaks his native language, for he is a liar and the father of lies.
5. [2 Corinthians 11:4] For if someone comes along and preaches another Jesus than the one we preached, or should you receive a different spirit from the one you received or a different gospel from the one you accepted, you are all too willing to listen.
7. [Philippians 3:2] Watch out for those dogs, those workers of evil, those mutilators of the flesh!
8. [Philippians 3:18] For as I have often told you before, and now declare even with tears: Many live as enemies of the cross of Christ.
9. [1 Timothy 6:3] If anyone teaches another doctrine and disagrees with the sound words of our Lord Jesus Christ and with godly teaching is a conceited person. He shows that he doesn’t understand anything . . .
10. [2 Timothy 3:13] But evil people and charlatans will go from bad to worse, deceiving others and being deceived themselves.
11. [Titus 1:9] He must hold firmly to the trustworthy message as it was taught, so that by sound teaching he will be able to encourage others and refute those who contradict this message.
12. [1 John 4:1] Dear friends, do not believe every spirit, but test the spirits to see whether they are from God, because many false prophets have gone out into the world.
13. [1 John 2:22-23] And who is a liar? Anyone who says that Jesus is not the Christ. Anyone who denies the Father and the Son is an antichrist. Beloved, do not believe every spirit, but test the spirits to see whether they are from God. For many false prophets have gone out into the world.
14. [2 Peter 2:1-3] But false prophets also arose among the people, just as there will also be false teachers among you, who will secretly introduce destructive heresies, even denying the Master who bought them, bringing swift destruction upon themselves. Many will follow their sensuality, and because of them the way of the truth will be maligned; and in their greed they will exploit you with false words; their judgment from long ago is not idle, and their destruction is not asleep.