The Muslims keep claiming Jerusalem as their ownership, they accuse the Jews of grabbing Jerusalem from them. But who really owns Jerusalem, the Muslims or the Jews?
In the sixth century, the Muslims (Rashidun army) conquered Jerusalem, and many Jews had fled and scattered upon other parts of the world. The Arabs begun Islamizing the holy land. Because of the Muslims’ control of Jerusalem and their abusive treatment on the Jews and Christians, the Catholic Church was forced to form an army called ‘Crusade’ to liberate the holy land. They were able to take Jerusalem back from the hands of Muslims in the year 1099. But in the year 1187, the Muslims (Saladin) captured the City again. In 1229, a Crusade was formed anew and regained control of the holy land. But in the year 1517, the Muslims (Ottoman) reconquered the City and ruled it for 400 years. Then in 1917, the Christians (United Kingdom) ended the Muslims’ control on Jerusalem. Then the British government allowed the return of the remnants of the Jews living in different parts of the world to Israel from 1950’s to 1960’s with the help of the United Nations. This is also in fulfillment of the Biblical prophecy that says God will bring back the remnants of His people to their land (Amos 9:14-15; Jeremiah 32:37; & Isaiah 14:2).
The great sufferings of the Jews in the hands of their torturers served as their purgative cleansing. Because of this, God restored his attention to the Jews and planted them back into the Holy land. And this time, God won’t allow His people to be mistreated anymore and be uprooted from their homeland again (Zechariah 9:8).
The Arabs who occupied Israel, Egypt, Jordan, Syria, Palestine, and other Middle East countries today are just foreigners since they originated from Arabia. Just like the dominant people that occupied the United States, New Zealand, and Australia who are British since they originated from Great Britain. The same case with the dominant people that occupied South America of today, for they are Latin people which originated from Europe.
A.) Biblical verses proving that Jerusalem belongs to the Jews since at the time of Judah (the first born of Jacob/Israel) 3,000 years ago
Quoted from the Old Testament
- [Joshua 15:63] But the tribe of Judah could not drive out the Jebusites, who lived in the city of Jerusalem, so the Jebusites live there among the people of Judah to this day.
- [Zechariah 12:2] “I am going to make Jerusalem a cup that sends all the surrounding peoples reeling. Judah will be besieged as well as Jerusalem.
- [1 Kings 15:4] Nevertheless, for David’s sake the LORD his God gave him a lamp in Jerusalem by raising up a son to succeed him and by making Jerusalem strong.
- [2 Kings 14:2] He was twenty-five years old when he became king, and he reigned in Jerusalem twenty-nine years. His mother’s name was Jehoaddan; she was from Jerusalem.
- [2 Kings 15:2] He was sixteen years old when he became king, and he reigned in Jerusalem fifty-two years. His mother’s name was Jekoliah; she was from Jerusalem.
- [2 Kings 21:13] And I will stretch over Jerusalem the measuring line of Samaria, and the plumb line of the house of Ahab, and I will wipe Jerusalem as one wipes a dish, wiping it and turning it upside down.
- [2 Kings 24:8] Jehoiachin was eighteen years old when he became king, and he reigned in Jerusalem three months. His mother’s name was Nehushta daughter of Elnathan; she was from Jerusalem.
- [2 Chronicles 6:6] But I have chosen Jerusalem that my name may be there, and I have chosen David to be over my people Israel.’
- [2 Chronicles 25:1] Amaziah was twenty-five years old when he became king, and he reigned in Jerusalem twenty-nine years. His mother’s name was Jehoaddan; she was from Jerusalem.
- [2 Chronicles 26:3] Uzziah was sixteen years old when he became king, and he reigned in Jerusalem fifty-two years. His mother’s name was Jekoliah; she was from Jerusalem.
- [2 Chronicles 34:32] Then he had everyone in Jerusalem and Benjamin pledge themselves to it; the people of Jerusalem did this in accordance with the covenant of God, the God of their ancestors.
- [Ezra 1:1] “This is what Cyrus king of Persia says: ‘The LORD, the God of heaven, who has given me all the kingdoms of the earth, has appointed me to build a house for Him at Jerusalem in Judah.
- [Ezra 10:7] A proclamation was then issued throughout Judah and Jerusalem for all the exiles to assemble in Jerusalem.
- [Ezra 10:9] Then all the men of Judah and Benjamin assembled at Jerusalem within the three days. It was the ninth month, on the twentieth day of the month. And all the people sat in the open square before the house of God, trembling because of this matter and because of the heavy rain.
- [Nehemiah 2:13] I went out by night by the Valley Gate to the Dragon Spring and to the Dung Gate, and I inspected the walls of Jerusalem that were broken down and its gates that had been destroyed by fire.
- [Nehemiah 11:1] Now the leaders of the people settled in Jerusalem. The rest of the people cast lots to bring one out of every ten of them to live in Jerusalem, the holy city, while the remaining nine were to stay in their own towns.
- [Psalm 122:1-9] A Song of Ascents. Of David. I was glad when they said to me, “Let us go to the house of the Lord!” Our feet have been standing within your gates, O Jerusalem! Jerusalem—built as a city that is bound firmly together, to which the tribes go up, the tribes of the Lord, as was decreed for Israel, to give thanks to the name of the Lord. There thrones for judgment were set, the thrones of the house of David.
- [Isaiah 62:6-7] On your walls, O Jerusalem, I have set watchmen; all the day and all the night they shall never be silent. You who put the Lord in remembrance, take no rest, And give him no rest until he establishes Jerusalem and makes it a praise in the earth.
- [Jeremiah 17:25] then kings and princes will enter through the gates of this city. They will sit on the throne of David, riding in chariots and on horses with their officials, along with the men of Judah and residents of Jerusalem, and this city will be inhabited forever.
- [Jeremiah 18:11 ] Now therefore, tell the men of Judah and the residents of Jerusalem that this is what the LORD says: ‘Behold, I am planning a disaster for you and devising a plan against you. Turn now, each of you, from your evil ways, and correct your ways and deeds.
- [Jeremiah 29:2] This was after King Jehoiachin, the queen mother, the court officials, the other officials of Judah, and all the craftsmen and artisans had been deported from Jerusalem.
- [Jeremiah 33:16] In those days Judah will be saved, and Jerusalem will dwell securely. And this is the name by which it will be called: ‘The Lord is our righteousness.’
- [Lamentations 1:7] Jerusalem remembers in the days of her affliction and wandering all the precious things that were hers from days of old. When her people fell into the hand of the foe, and there was none to help her, her foes gloated over her; they mocked at her downfall.
- [Daniel 9:2] In the first year of his reign, I, Daniel, perceived in the books the number of years that, according to the word of the Lord to Jeremiah the prophet, must pass before the end of the desolations of Jerusalem, namely, seventy years.
- [Joel 3:1] “For behold, in those days and at that time, when I restore the fortunes of Judah and Jerusalem,
- [Zechariah 1:16] “Therefore this is what the LORD says: ‘I will return to Jerusalem with mercy, and there my house will be rebuilt. And the measuring line will be stretched out over Jerusalem,’ declares the LORD Almighty.
- [Zechariah 2:2-4] Then I said, “Where are you going?” And he said to me, “To measure Jerusalem, to see what is its width and what is its length.” And behold, the angel who talked with me came forward, and another angel came forward to meet him and said to him, “Run, say to that young man, ‘Jerusalem shall be inhabited as villages without walls, because of the multitude of people and livestock in it.’”
- [Zechariah 8:3-5] Thus says the Lord: I have returned to Zion and will dwell in the midst of Jerusalem, and Jerusalem shall be called the faithful city, and the mountain of the Lord of hosts, the holy mountain. Thus says the Lord of hosts: Old men and old women shall again sit in the streets of Jerusalem, each with staff in hand because of great age. And the streets of the city shall be full of boys and girls playing in its streets.
- [Zechariah 12:3] On that day I will make Jerusalem a heavy stone for all the peoples. All who lift it will surely hurt themselves. And all the nations of the earth will gather against it.
- [Zechariah 12:10] “And I will pour out on the house of David and the inhabitants of Jerusalem a spirit of grace and pleas for mercy, so that, when they look on me, on him whom they have pierced, they shall mourn for him, as one mourns for an only child, and weep bitterly over him, as one weeps over a firstborn.
- [Zechariah 14:8-11] On that day living waters shall flow out from Jerusalem, half of them to the eastern sea and half of them to the western sea. It shall continue in summer as in winter. And the Lord will be king over all the earth. On that day the Lord will be one and his name one. The whole land shall be turned into a plain from Geba to Rimmon south of Jerusalem. But Jerusalem shall remain aloft on its site from the Gate of Benjamin to the place of the former gate, to the Corner Gate, and from the Tower of Hananel to the king’s winepresses. And it shall be inhabited, for there shall never again be a decree of utter destruction. Jerusalem shall dwell in security.
- [Micah 4:2] And many nations shall come, and say: “Come, let us go up to the mountain of the Lord, to the house of the God of Jacob, that he may teach us his ways and that we may walk in his paths.” For out of Zion shall go forth the law, and the word of the Lord from Jerusalem.
Quoted from the New Testament
- [Matthew 2:3] When Herod the king heard this, he was troubled, and all Jerusalem with him;
- [Matthew 23:37] “O Jerusalem, Jerusalem, the city that kills the prophets and stones those who are sent to it! How often would I have gathered your children together as a hen gathers her brood under her wings, and you would not!
- [Luke 2:41] Now his parents went to Jerusalem every year at the Feast of the Passover.
- [Luke 13:33] Nevertheless, I must go on my way today and tomorrow and the day following, for it cannot be that a prophet should perish away from Jerusalem.’
- [Luke 21:20-24] “But when you see Jerusalem surrounded by armies, then know that its desolation has come near. Then let those who are in Judea flee to the mountains, and let those who are inside the city depart, and let not those who are out in the country enter it, for these are days of vengeance, to fulfill all that is written. Alas for women who are pregnant and for those who are nursing infants in those days! For there will be great distress upon the earth and wrath against this people. They will fall by the edge of the sword and be led captive among all nations, and Jerusalem will be trampled underfoot by the Gentiles, until the times of the Gentiles are fulfilled.
- [Luke 24:47] And that repentance and forgiveness of sins should be proclaimed in his name to all nations, beginning from Jerusalem.
- [Acts 1:4] And while staying with them he ordered them not to depart from Jerusalem, but to wait for the promise of the Father, which, he said, “you heard from me;
- [Acts 1:8] But you will receive power when the Holy Spirit has come upon you, and you will be my witnesses in Jerusalem and in all Judea and Samaria, and to the end of the earth.”
- [Galatians 4:25-26] Now Hagar is Mount Sinai in Arabia; she corresponds to the present Jerusalem, for she is in slavery with her children. But the Jerusalem above is free, and she is our mother
- [Revelation 21:2] And I saw the holy city, new Jerusalem, coming down out of heaven from God, prepared as a bride adorned for her husband.
- [Revelation 21:10] So he took me in the Spirit to a great, high mountain, and he showed me the holy city, Jerusalem, descending out of heaven from God.
B.) Quranic verses telling that Allah assigned the Holy land, Jordan, and Palestine to the children of Israel
[Qur’an 5:20-21] Remember Moses said to his people: “O my people! Call in remembrance the favour of Allah unto you, when He produced prophets among you, made you kings, and gave you what He had not given to any other among the peoples. O my people, enter the Holy Land which Allah has assigned to you and do not turn back [from fighting in Allah’s cause] and [thus] become losers.“
[Qur’an 17:104] And We said to the Children of Israel after him: “DWELL IN THE LAND, then, when the final and the last promise comes near [i.e. the Day of Resurrection or the descent of Christ [‘Iesa (Jesus), son of Maryam (Mary) on the earth]. We shall bring you altogether as mixed crowd (gathered out of various nations).
[Tafsîr Ibn ‘Abbâs on Quran 17:104]
(And We said unto the Children of Israel after him) after his destruction: (Dwell in the land) the land of Jordan and Palestine; (but when the promise of the Hereafter) when resurrection after death; and it is also said that this means: when Jesus son of Mary descends (cometh to pass we shall bring you as a crowd gathered out of various nations.)
One thought on “Jerusalem Is Owned By The Jews According To Bible And Quran”