In pre-Islamic time, people were very superstitious including Muhammad that even their physical abnormalities meant bad or lucky signs for them. The statements below are testimonies how Muhammad became the seal of the prophets, and what was his sign that convinced the people to grant him the said title, find out below;
1. [Sahih Muslim 2344c] “Jabir b. Samura reported: I saw the seal on his back as it were a pigeon’s egg.”
2. [Sahih Muslim 2346] “Abdullah b. Sarjis reported: I saw Allah’s apostle and ate with him bread and meat, or he said Tharid (bread soaked in soup). I said to him: Did Allah’s apostle seek forgiveness for you? He said: Yes, and for you, and he then recited this verse: ‘Ask forgiveness for thy sin and for the believing men and believing women’ (xlvii 19). I then went after him and saw the Seal of Prophethood between his shoulders on the left side of his shoulders having spots on it like hairy moles”
3. [Seal of Prophecy, The Dictionary of Islam by T.P. Hughes] According to a tradition, recorded in the Mishkatu ‘l-Masabih, book iii, ch. 7, it was the size of the knob of a bridal canopy. Others say it was the size of a pigeon’s egg, or even the size of a closed fist.
Shaikh ‘Abdu ‘l-Haqq says “it was a piece of flesh, very brilliant in appearance, and according to some traditions it had secretly inscribed within it, ‘God is one and has no Associate.
Khatimu ‘n-Nubuwah. A mole of an unusual size on the Prophets back, which is said to have been the divine seal which, according to the predictions of the Scriptures, marked Muhammad as the “Seal of the Prophets,” Khatimu’n Nabiyin.
4. [Jami` at-Tirmidhi 3643] Narrated As-Sa’ib bin Yazid: “My maternal aunt took me to the Prophet, and said: ‘O Messenger of Allah! Indeed my nephew is in pain.’ So he wiped over my head and supplicated for blessings for me. And he performed Wudu and I drank from the water of his Wudu. Then I stood behind his back, and I looked at the seal between his two shoulder blades, and it resembled the egg of a partridge. . . .
5. [Jami` at-Tirmidhi 3620] Then he said: ‘This is the master of the men and jinn, this is the Messenger of the Lord of the worlds. Allah will raise him as a mercy to the men and jinn.’ So some of the older people from the Quraish said: ‘What do you know?’ He said: ‘When you people came along from the road, not a rock nor a tree was left, except that it prostrated, and they do not prostrate except for a Prophet. And I can recognize him by the seal of the Prophethood which is below his shoulder blade, like an apple.‘ . . .
4. [Ash-Shama’il Al-Muhammadiyah 16] As-Sa’ib ibn Yazid said: ‘My maternal aunt took me to the Prophet (Allah bless him and give him peace), and she said; “O Messenger of Allah, my sister’s son is in pain!” He therefore stroked my head (Allah bless him and give him peace) and supplicated blessing for my sake. He performed the minor ritual ablution. I drank from his ablution water and stood behind his back, whereupon I observed the Seal between his shoulders, and lo and behold, it was like the button of the bridal canopy!”’
5. [Ash-Shama’il Al-Muhammadiyah 17] Jabir ibn Samura said: “I saw the Seal between the shoulders of Allah’s Messenger (Allah bless him and give him peace) as a red swelling like the egg of the dove.”
6. [Ash-Shama’il Al-Muhammadiyah 19] Ibrahim ibn Muhammad, one of the offspring of ‘Ali ibn Abi Talib, told me: “When ‘Ali described Allah’s Messenger (Allah bless him and give him peace)— then he related the tradition in full—he said: ‘Between his shoulders was the Seal of Prophethood, for he is the Seal of the Prophets’
7. [Ash-Shama’il Al-Muhammadiyah 22] Abu Nadra al-‘Awaqi said: “I asked Sa’id al-Khudri about the Seal of Allah’s Messenger (Allah bless him and give him peace), meaning the Seal of Prophethood, so he said: ‘It was a protrusion of skin on his back.”
8. [Ash-Shama’il Al-Muhammadiyah 23] ‘Abdullah ibn Sarjis [al-MuzanI] said: “I came to Allah’s Messenger (Allah bless him and give him peace), while he was among a group of his Companions, so I circled like this behind him. He understood what I wanted, so he threw the cloak off his back. I thus saw the place of the Seal on his shoulders, like a clenched fist surrounded by moles, as if they were warts.
9. [Quran 33:40] “Muhammad is not the father of any of your men, but (he is) the Apostle of God, and the seal of the Prophets: and God has full knowledge of all things.”
From the accounts above, the said ‘seal of the prophets or prophethood’ was referred to the hairy mole on the shoulder of Muhammad. The previous messengers of God confirmed their prophethoods with miracles, but Muhammad confirmed his prophethood with his hairy mole. How can people believe this seal of prophethood which confirmed by a hairy mole? Islamic belief was established on superstition. Muslims boast their prophet as the seal of the prophets as reflected in Quran, only to know that this seal was referred to Muhammad’s hairy mole. It is so sad that devoted Muslims killed Jews and Christians brutally in upholding a Faith founded on a hairy mole.
One thought on “Muhammad is the seal of the prophets, what is this seal?”