“Nikah Mut’ah” literally means “pleasure marriage”, it is a form of prostitution practiced in Islam under the guise of temporary marriage contract. The man will pay the woman and she has to agree sexual intercourse with him for a limited time. This type of marriage contract can either be verbal or written document. Once the prescribed time expires, the marriage contract automatically be declared null and void. Nikah Mut’ah was abrogated by Muhammad in hadiths but not by Allah in Quran (4:24), so the believers of Islam are divided in this one. They have to choose between Muhammad and Allah whom to follow. The Sunni Muslims no longer practice this type of marriage, but the Shia Muslims still practice it today. Some Muslims deny that Nikah Mut’ah exists in their Scriptures or religion, but the hadiths below speak for themselves.
1. [Sahih al-Bukhari 5075] Narrated ‘Abdullah: We used to participate in the holy battles led by Allah’s Messenger and we had nothing (no wives) with us. So we said, “Shall we get ourselves castrated?” He forbade us that and then allowed us to marry women with a temporary contract (2) and recited to us: — ‘O you who believe ! Make not unlawful the good things which Allah has made lawful for you, but commit no transgression.’ (5.87)
2. [Sahih al-Bukhari 5151] Narrated `Uqba: The Prophet said: “The stipulations most entitled to be abided by are those with which you are given the right to enjoy the (women’s) private parts (i.e. the stipulations of the marriage contract).
3. [Sahih Muslim 1224c] Abu Dharr (Allah be pleased with him) said: Two are the Mut’as which were not permissible but only for us, i. e. temporary marriage with women and Tamattu’ in Hajj.
4. [Sahih Muslim 1249] Abd Nadra reported: While I was in the company of Jibir, a person came and said: There is difference of opinion amomg Ibn Abbas and Ibn Zubair about two Mut’as (benefits, Tamattul in Hajj and temporary marriage with women), whereupon jibir said: We have been doing this during the lifetime of Allah’s Messenger (way peace be upon him), and then ‘Umar forbade us to do so, and we never resorted to them.
5. [Sahih Muslim 1404a] Abdullah (b. Mas’ud) reported: We were on an expedition with Allah’s Messenger and we had no women with us. We said: Should we not have ourselves castrated? He (the Holy Prophet) forbade us to do so He then granted us permission that we should contract temporary marriage for a stipulated period giving her a garment, and ‘Abdullah then recited this verse: ‘Those who believe do not make unlawful the good things which Allah has made lawful for you, and do not transgress. Allah does not like trangressers” (al-Qur’an, v. 87).
6. [Sahih Muslim 1405a] Jabir b. ‘Abdullah and Salama b. al-Akwa’ said: There came to us the proclaimer of Allah’s Messenger and said: Allah’s Messenger has granted you permission to benefit yourselves, i. e. to contract temporary marriage with women.
7. [Sahih Muslim 1407a] ‘Ali b. AbiTalib reported that Allah’s Messenger prohibited on the Day of Khaibar the contracting of temporary marriage with women and the eating of the flesh of domestic asses.
8. [Sahih Muslim 1407f] ‘Ali b. Abi Talib reported that Allah’s Messenger forbade on the Day of Khaibar temporary marriage (Muta’) with women and the eating of the flesh of domestic asses.
9. [Sahih Muslim 1405a] Jabir b. ‘Abdullah and Salama b. al-Akwa’ said: There came to us the proclaimer of Allah’s Messenger and said: Allah’s Messenger has granted you permission to benefit yourselves, i. e. to contract temporary marriage with women.
10. [Sahih Muslim 1406a]
Sabra Juhanni reported: Allah’s Messenger permitted temporary marriage for us. So I and another person went out and saw a woman of Bana ‘Amir, who was like a young long-necked she-camel. We presented ourselves to her (for contracting temporary marriage), whereupon she said: What dower would you give me? I said: My cloak. And my companion also said: My cloak. And the cloak of-my companion was superior to my cloak, but I was younger than he. So when she looked at the cloak of my companion she liked it, and when she cast a glance at me I looked more attractive to her. She then said: Well, you and your cloak are sufficient for me. I remained with her for three nights, and then Allah’s Messenger said: He who has any such woman with whom he had contracted temporary marriage, he should let her off.
11. [Sahih Muslim 1406b]
Rabi’ b. Sabra reported that his father went on an expedition with Allah’s Messenger during the Victory of Mecca, and we stayed there for fifteen days (i. e. for thirteen full days and a day and a night), and Allah’s Messenger permitted us to contract temporary marriage with women. So I and another person of my tribe went out, and I was more handsome than he, whereas he was almost ugly. Each one of us had a cloaks, My cloak was worn out, whereas the cloak of my cousin was quite new. As we reached the lower or the upper side of Mecca, we came across a young woman like a young smart long-necked she-camel. We said:
Is it possible that one of us may contract temporary marriage with you? She said: What will you give me as a dower? Each one of us spread his cloak. She began to cast a glance on both the persons. My companion also looked at her when she was casting a glance at her side and he said: This cloak of his is worn out, whereas my cloak is quite new. She, however, said twice or thrice: There is no harm in (accepting) this cloak (the old one). So I contracted temporary marriage with her, and I did not come out (of this) until Allah’s Messenger declared it forbidden.
12. [Sahih Muslim 1406d] Sabra al-Juhani reported on the authority of his father that while he was with Allah’s Messenger he said: O people, I had permitted you to contract temporary marriage with women, but Allah has forbidden it (now) until the Day of Resurrection. So he who has any (woman with this type of marriage contract) he should let her off, and do not take back anything you have given to them (as dower).
13. [Sahih Muslim 1406g]
Sabra b. Ma’bad reported that Allah’s Apostle permitted his Companions to contract temporary marriage with women in the Year of Victory. So I and a friend of mine from Banu Sulaim went out, until we found a young woman of Banu Amir who was like a young she-camel having a long neck. We proposed to her for contracting temporary marriage with us, and presented to her our cloaks (as dower). She began to look and found me more handsome than my friend, but found the cloak of my friend more beautiful than my cloak. She thought in her mind for a while, but then preferred me to my friend. So I remained with her for three (nights), and then Allah’s Messenger commanded us to part with them (such women).
14. [Sahih Muslim 1406j] This hadith has been narrated on the authority of Rabi’ b. Sabra that Allah’s Messenger forbade to contract temporary marriage with women at the time of Victory, and that his father had contracted the marriage for two red cloaks.
15. [Sunan an-Nasa’i 3365] It was narrated from Al-Hasan and ‘Abdullah, the sons of Muhammad, from their father, that ‘Ali heard that a man did not see anything wrong with Mut’ah (temporary marriage). He said: “You are confused, the Messenger of Allah forbade it, and the meat of domestic donkeys on the day of Khaibar.”
16. [Sunan an-Nasa’i 3366] It was narrated from ‘Abdullah and Al-Hasan, the sons of Muhammad bin ‘Ali, from their father, from ‘Ali bin Abi Talib, that the Messenger of Allah on the Day of Khaibar forbade temporary marriage to women, and (he also forbade) the meat of tame donkeys.
17. [Sunan an-Nasa’i 3367] Malik bin Anas narrated that Ibn Shihab told him that ‘Abdullah and Al-Hasan, the sons of Muhammad bin ‘Ali, told him, that their father Muhammad bin ‘Ali told them, that ‘Ali bin Abi Talib, may Allah be pleased with him, said : “The Messenger of Allah on the Day of Khaibar forbade temporary marriage to women.” (One of the narrators) Ibn Al-Muthanna said: “The Day of Hunain.” He said: “This is what ‘Abdul-Wahhab narrated to us from his book
18. [Sunan Ibn Majah 1961] It was narrated from ‘Ali bin Abu Talib that: The Messenger of Allah forbade on the Day of Khaibar, the temporary marriage of women and (he forbade) the flesh of domestic donkeys.
19. [Sunan Ibn Majah 1962]
It was narrated from Rabi’bin Sabrah that his father said : “We went out with the Messenger of Allah on the Farewell pilgrimage, and they said : ‘O Messenger of Allah, celibacy has become too difficult for us’. He said : ‘Then make temporary marriages with these women’. So we went to them, but they insisted on setting a fixed time between us and them. They mentioned that to the Prophet and he said : ‘Set a fixed time between you and them.’ So I went out with a cousin of mine. He had a cloak and I had a cloak, but his cloak was finer than mine, and I was younger than him. We came to a women and she said: ‘One cloak is like another.’ So I married her and stayed with her that night. Then the next day I saw the Messenger of Allah standing between the Rukn (corner) and the door (of the Ka’bah), saying : ‘O people, I had permitted temporary marriage for you, but Allah has forbidden it until the Day of Resurrection. however had any temporary wives, he should let them go, and do not take back anything that you had given to them.’ “
20. [Sunan Abi Dawud 2073] Rabi’ b. Saburah reported on the authority of his father: The Messenger of Allah prohibited temporary marriage with women.
21. [Muwata Malik Book 28, Hadith 41] Yahya related to me from Malik from Ibn Shihab from Abdullah and Hasan, the sons of Muhammad ibn Ali ibn Abi Talib from their ather, mayAllah be pleased with him, that the Messenger of Allah, may Allah bless him and grant him peace, forbade temporary marriage with women and the flesh of domestic donkeys on the Day of Khaybar.
22. [Muwatta Malik, Book 28, Number 42] Yahya related to me from Malik from Ibn Shihab from Urwa ibn az- Zubayr that Khawla ibn Hakim came to Umar ibn al-Khattab and said, ”Rabia ibn Umayya made a temporary marriage with a woman and she is pregnant by him.” Umar ibn al-Khattab went out in dismay dragging his cloak, saying, “This temporary marriage, had I come across it, I would have ordered stoning and done away with it! “
23. [Mishkat al-Masabih 3147] ‘Ali said that at the battle for Khaibar God’s Messenger forbade the temporary marriage (mut’a) of women, and eating the flesh of domestic asses.
24. [Mishkat al-Masabih 3157] Ibn Mas’ud said : When we were on an expedition along with God’s Messenger and had no women with us we asked whether we should not have ourselves castrated, but he forbade us to do that. Then he granted us licence to contract temporary marriages, and one would marry a woman giving a garment as dower up to a fixed date. Then ‘Abdallah recited, “You who believe, do not make unlawful the good things which God has made lawful for you” (Al-Qur’an 5:87).
ALSO READ: UK Muslims revived Nikah Mut’ah